1. Time Will Fly By: Have you ever been on the treadmill and thought to yourself “it’s probably been about 15 minutes already”…only to look down at the timer to see “1:34″ flashing back at you? Well forget all of that in a Group Exercise Class! The pace of classes makes the time fun and the energy level of the instructor makes you forget you’re working hard (okay, sometimes!).
2. You’ll Save Money: Personal training, Boot Camps, Tennis… it all costs extra (and for good reason!)…but Group Exercise Classes are included in most BAC Memberships! The benefits you gain with a workout also save you money on health care, as people who workout are far less likely to get sick and also recover from illness and injury quicker than non-exercisers.
3. You’ll Make New Friends: Group exercise classes are a great way to meet like-minded and like-motivated individuals. You’ll find you share common goals and interest which can be a great motivator to work hard in class and create accountability for coming back week after week.
4. Hello Motivation!: Having someone constantly reminding you to work harder and encouraging you as you do so, will be sure to take your fitness to the next level! The instructor sets the tone, while having others in class offers another level of motivation through a tiny bit of competition and camaraderie.
5. You Will Learn to Challenge Yourself: When you find yourself surrounded by 25 other hard-working gym goers, you’ll want to keep pace, meaning you will be challenged to work harder. Studies have proven that working out with a group results in a bigger calorie burn.
6. Classes Are Anything But Boring: Is there anything you CAN’T get with group exercise? Pilates, yoga, spinning, circuit training, dancing, kickboxing…and the list goes on. Whatever your need, chances are you can find a class for it or encourage an instructor to start one!
7. You’ll Learn Something New: A good class and a great instructor will show you how to work your body and muscles properly. Trying something different challenges both your mind and body, two things that ward off the effects of aging.
8. You Will Stay Safe: When beginning a new or different fitness routine, feeling safe and being safe are key. Many of our Group Exercise Instructors are also Personal Trainers, and certainly all have been certified and are especially mindful of alignment and safety, no matter what you’re doing. Instructors will be able to help explain and model what you’re doing, how to do it, and what you should be feeling. Never hesitate to ask questions or ask for alternative exercises if you need additional assistance.
9. You Can Join the Group, or Go Your Own Way: An experienced group exercise instructor will offer modifications that allow for different fitness levels among the participants. Most classes will offer beginner, intermediate, and advanced exercise options. Make sure to come at least 5 minutes early when you’re taking a new class and introduce yourself to the instructor. Developing a relationship with your instructor is key to finding the workout that will challenge you in a safe manner.
10. You Could Burn a Lot More Calories!: Did you know that the average participant burns between 400-600 calories in a 40-minute spin class? And in a one-hour Group Kick Class, some participants burn as much as 800 calories! (And did you know that a 40-minute workout on the Elliptical, at a moderate pace, may only burn about 290 calories?). All the more reason to get to the Club and take a Group Exercise Class!
*some info taken from www.getwags.com